Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sa Pa and my last night in Ha Noi

My time spent in Sa Pa was awesome! We were lucky enough to have blue sky for the entire trek. The trek was only two days and one night, we stayed in a village for the one night. It was quite an experience... The family that we stayed with was welcoming. After a long day of hiking through the rice patties we made it to the village. We got to make dinner with the family and then join them to eat. The family had 4 generations all living in the same house! As soon as we sat down to eat our elaborate meal, our guide started giving everyone at the table including the great grandma shots of rice wine. He kept pouring shot after shot and ofcourse you can't say no. By the end of the dinner all of us had about 10 shots of rice wine. I made it through the night ok. I ate so much food that it absorbed all the alcohol. It felt really good to connect with the vietnamese people with out having any scams or money involved. The next day we woke up to roosters crowing and delicous banana pancakes! After we got back from the trek we took a night train back to Ha Noi. Our last night in Ha Noi before going to Ninh Binh the group that I was with decided to really blend in with the locals and go to a restaraunt that only serves snake. When we sat down to order, they brought the live snake to the table and killed it right in front of us. The slit open the heart as the snake was still moving. The drained the blood into shot glasses with rice wine for us (not me) to drink. Then they put the heart in a cup as it was beating still. My friends drank the blood and one of them ate the heart. eeewww. They quikley grilled the snake and served us. I felt so sick. It's the same feeling I get when I'm walking through a meet market and I see bloody dog heads on a table and the body of the dog gutted ready to be sold for dinner.

5 comments:

Common Tater said...

I was very sorry to read the portion about dogs. Missy and Rusty are spoiled and plump. They wouldn't survive an hour in Asia. You have found an EASY way for ME to lose weight! (In fact, after reading the latest post, I may not be able to eat breakfast.)

Every morning, I check your blog for updates; and, always feel better when you have a new entry. I know that it is difficult to find a computer; and, I appreciate your effort to keep us current on how/where you are. I LOVE the photos, too.

Grandma Kathy

Michelle, Andy, and Kaila (and???) said...

Arielle, Wow, the visuals, oh my my, a little too much for my tummy and I am worlds away, not right there experiencing it. You are amazing. Soak up the experiences, don't forget to write all about this in your journal, there is so much going on you would be surprised how much you actually forget. Love ya mom

Michelle, Andy, and Kaila (and???) said...

Hey Punk! Wow, now you're really living--there's nothing like freshly grilled snake chased down with a shot of snake blood and rice wine. Yum! I kove reading your blogs and look forward to every new entry. You are having the experiences I dreamed you would and I could not be more happy for you. Keep living the dream. Love you! Papa

Common Tater said...

Arielle,

I enjoy looking at the photos; but, it is going to be hard for me to look at them anymore. Is there a way to delete the dog "menu" photo?

Grandma Kathy

Common Tater said...

Arielle,

How about an update on your blog. This is the last day of November; and, no postings since Nov. 19.

You've had a lot of adventures since Nov. 19!

Grandma Kathy